Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Not user friendly?  (Read 2348 times)

groupw

Not user friendly?
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:51:14 PM »
The A/FD and other publications show Country Squire as a privately-owned airport open to the public. But there's a landing fee for non-based aircraft. So while technically open to the public, it doesn't sound like the public is very welcome.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:50:13 PM by groupw »

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Re: Not user friendly?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
Roy, where did you see that (about the landing fee)?  I was thinking of popping in there soon (but certainly won't if they try to collect some fee).
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

SkyPilot

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
Roche Harbor Airport on San Juan Island is the same way - Private and fee for landing there. (They will mail a bill to the N's address.)
Aviation Law Attorney
KBLI - Bellingham, WA

davidh

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
Roche Harbor is well known for that, I think, and given the amenities available, it doesn't seem too outrageous.

County Squire, on the other hand, seems like it's in the middle of nowhere and offers nothing besides a runway, so a fee seems out of line.
David Herman

hotrod150

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
  By comparison, Sandy River Airport (03S, also a privately owned/public use airport) sounds very user friendly, according to a recent pirep on the backcountrypilot.org site. If you're going to Sandy Oregon, maybe that one's a better choice.

groupw

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
It's in the Airport & Facilities Directory -- I edited my original posting to correctly say A/FD. It's also in the AirNav entry and similar references. Some interesting comments from a year and a half ago are here: http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4535. But I don't have any personal experience with it at all -- because of what I've read I've flown over it but never landed. There are plenty of airports where I feel welcome.

Roy

SunnySequim CessnaDriver

• N4692L 1966 Cessna 172G Sequim Valley W28.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
I landed at Country Squire about three weeks ago for an afternoon visit in Sandy, intending to come home to Sequim that evening. Upon arrival, I could not find the tie downs so I just parked on the grass. Long story made short, I was talked into staying the night. About 2:00 AM, an intense thunderstorm materialized. I drove the three miles to Country Squire expecting to find 233 turned over in the wind. What I found was that the Skippers had towed her from the grass to a tie down and safely secured her sometime the prior afternoon. Ultimately, I was weathered in for two more days with low ceilings and rain, but I spoke to Mrs. Skipper by phone expressing my thanks and how could I compensate them. She said "oh, there's a box by where your plane is tied down. If you want to, you can put $5.00 in it, but you don't have to if you don't want to". I left $20.00 in the box and felt I had under paid.

I found the Skippers to be very cordial and will not hesitate to fly into Country Squire again...now that I know where the tie downs are.

Dan.
"It's better to fly an old Cessna 150, than to sit at home reading about jets."

davidh

• Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
Dan - do you know if that (make a donation if/as you see fit) is their policy, or if they expect anyone who stops by just to check the place out for 10 minutes and stretch their legs (which describes much of my airport use) to pay a fee?  It certainly sounds like they did right by you, but I generally think "landing fees" are a very, very bad thing for GA and hate to see them proliferate.

Thanks for the PIREP.
David Herman

SunnySequim CessnaDriver

• N4692L 1966 Cessna 172G Sequim Valley W28.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
Hi David,

They do have a posted notice of landing and tie down fees, but I think they have a lot of flexibility. My sense is that a "look see" would be acceptable with no fee.

I know how you feel about landing fees, but I feel that someone has to be compensated for building and maintaining privately owned facilities that open their doors to the public and that we enjoy, if they are to be there in the future. We always have the alternative to use a government operated airport. In my case, Troutdale would be the closest, and it is an 45 minuted from Sandy by car. Country Squire is 3 miles from my destination. I guess another alternate could have been Valley View in Estacada. Have flown in there a couple times and it's very nice. Sandy River is a nice grass strip, but they discourage C-150s because of tall trees.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Regards...Dan
"It's better to fly an old Cessna 150, than to sit at home reading about jets."

farnorth

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »
I do have quite a bit of experience in and out of the Sandy and Estacada strips. The Sandy river strip is nice but down in a valley and has lots of ultralight activity. The Estacada strip feels like a ghost town strip but is maintained. On weekends especially, the locals fly RC aircraft off the runway and do not monitor unicom so be very careful there.

As far as Country Squire, I am glad to hear SunnySequim had such a good experience with the Skippers ( the owners ). It is not always the case. They do not like local pattern traffic (touch & go's etc) on their field - even by tenants. They are extremely concerned about liability. They can be very nice but have also been known to meet aircraft stopping in with a shotgun! I am not kidding!  The airport has no amenities, bathrooms, fuel or maintenance. It is a beautiful picnic spot but all in all if your not a tenant I would recommend calling the owners prior to landing there.

The airport does have a stunningly gorgeous Japanese Red Leaf Maple about half way down the runway on the south side. Almost worth the trip just to see it.

Just my .02
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:00:26 AM by farnorth »
Commercial
ASEL&S, AMEL, INSTRUMENT
CFIAIME, A&IGI
ATCS/T

BOI

CRAZEDpilot

• CRAZEDpilot.com
    • Training DVD's, Big Rocks Long Props, Headsets, LED lighting, you name it!

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
I've heard the same as "farnorth" about the location multiple times.  I've heard the owner will pull his truck infront of your plane with his hand out for the landing fee.  It's not the fee that I think may rub people wrong, it's the lack of friendlyness.  I went in there once and talked with the daughter - she was friendly enough and let me pass without a fee :)  I don't plan to go back.