Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Chehalem Airpark (17S) - Overview  (Read 1756 times)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Chehalem Airpark (17S) - Overview
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
Introduction:
A quiet and friendly little airport in the northern Willamette Valley, Chehalem Airpark felt delightfully relaxing when I dropped in on a June day.  The runway is 2285' x 40, with very clear approaches, and sits on flat land surrounded by vineyards and orchards - it's quite pretty.  There's fuel (although not 24 hour self serve) and an FBO. 

I parked the plane and enjoyed a lunch (that I brought along) in a shady picnic area, and really liked the feel of the place.  There's not a lot happening on this quiet, privately owned, public use field, camping is used to be allowed, but apparently no longer is (see PIREP below - call them first if you're thinking about that), and a courtesy car may be available (call the FBO, Precision Aviation to ask about availability).  There are some great wineries nearby, and this could make a really nice place to use as a jumping off point for touring them.

Photos:

Local Reporting Points
There are no well-known local reporting points for this airport that we're aware of.
If you know of any, please add them in a reply below.

Other websites about this airport:

User Contributions Wanted!
Local knowledge and first-hand reports can be an important source of information for visiting pilots.
Please add your own PIREP, comments, corrections and updates below so others can benefit from your local knowledge and experience.

Disclaimers & Legal Stuff
My lawyer says to remind you that all the information contained here is certainly not intended for navigation, so please use it at your own risk. Always confirm any information you find online with an official government source, since we all know that the internet can be full of crazy stuff and you sure don't want to bet your life on that. Please be smart and fly safe. All contents of this website are © Pacific Northwest Flying, and may not be reproduced in any form without permission.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:34:38 AM by davidh »
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

marvinwaleed

Re: Chehalem Airpark (17S) - Overview
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »
We tied to camp at Chehalum last night. No joy. The new owners were actually quite upset that we even asked. A few miles away is Newburg: Sportsman airfield. A pretty airport (although not nearly as pretty as Chehalum) with a very friendly airport manager. Under-wing campers are welcome.

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
Appreciate the PIREP - noted the update re camping on the field.  Thanks!
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

tosten

• I heart flying

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
We tied to camp at Chehalum last night. No joy. The new owners were actually quite upset that we even asked. A few miles away is Newburg: Sportsman airfield. A pretty airport (although not nearly as pretty as Chehalum) with a very friendly airport manager. Under-wing campers are welcome.

Hope I didn't make them grumpy.  Sunday morning I was out practicing commercial maneuvers, I chopped the power at 7500 feet over the field, did power off steep spirals and then on to a power off landing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:15:18 PM by tosten »
Paul

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things"  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

P35 Bonanza--KHIO