Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Airplane Camping Destinations  (Read 12005 times)

DRW

Re: Airplane Camping Destinations
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 05:52:16 AM »
If I remember, I think the "showers" are outdoor fixtures attached to a hangar.
Actually that shower is inop.- it is controlled by that hangar owner. Since the water is pumped from the lake, sometimes it gets a little muddy, no showers for public use- fresh drinking water is available in the pilot lounge out of the dispenser.
Piloting 182 out of 3W7 (Electric City)
ASEL, AOPA, WPA, WSAA, WASP, NRA Benefactor
RAF State Liaison

hotrod150

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
  Someone oughta buy one of those galvanized watering pots and leave it at the camping area next to the lake-- fill her up and set it in the hot eastern WA sun & after a while you'll have enough for a (quick!) shower.

avi8ter

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
I like St. Maries idaho.Cheap fuel, 2 courtesy cars, pilot lounge and a nice little town. Beautiful area, i just throw my tent under the wing and nobody has ever said a word. Be careful for wildlife on the runway.When i was there last month there was a moose trotting parrallel 
the runway while i was loading the plane in the morning to leave.

ColinFitzGerald

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »

I camped at the Electic City airport on the way back from Renton to Spokane in May. The former airport manager (his plane pictured) said this looks like a snake minimum year.  He has not seen any - but that was May.  Beautiful scenery all around.  Take the courtesy car to Steamboat Rock State Park (9 mile drive?) for excellent hiking.

Colin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:52:54 PM by ColinFitzGerald »

rdanz68

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
If anyone goes into Teiton, or has recently (this summer), would really appreciate a Pirep on conditions (posted here), hope to go this year but not sure when.  Thanks.   dave

I went in there Friday afternoon with no problems.  It was around 80 degrees or so and I was about 200 lbs under gross.  Lawn was mowed and the overall condition of the strip was good.  Landing uphill and taking off downhill helps a lot too.  Piece of cake....

Ray-Ban

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
Florence Oregon.  They have a loaner car and you can camp at woahink park or one of the other places there.  Rent four wheeler and go on the dunes, sea lion caves, ect...   They do not have camping on the field.

Do they still have the loaner? Last time I went there I don't remember why, but remember not being able to use it.
Off to Navy OCS - Be Back in January

DRW

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »
Went into Tieton Sat. and camped overnite.  Strip is in very good shape, easy to get in and out of- you can come in over Rimrock lake and take off over the lake- alot of room to circle and climb if necessary. Bro did it in his C-150 without any concern. See Pilawts post of video here (http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php?topic=9533.15)  Excellent camp area (bring your own water), very busy on weekends w/locals boating, camping, and just driving thru.

Under wing tent John designed and had Joang at 'Arlington Covers' make for him. Very light w/no poles required
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:36:50 AM by DRW »
Piloting 182 out of 3W7 (Electric City)
ASEL, AOPA, WPA, WSAA, WASP, NRA Benefactor
RAF State Liaison

rdanz68

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 08:25:58 AM »
I spent the weekend at the WPA Stewert Island cabin.  Strip was in good shape with easy approaches over the water on both ends.  A few people around but overall a peacefull place.  I donated a couple crab pots and a rubber raft for those who want to try that.  And Friday Harbor is just a 5 minute hop away if you need any supplies.  This place is defiantly at the top of my list now for camping destinations.

Pilawt

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
Here's another photo of Tieton (4S6), 8/11/2012:

Jeff Jacobs
C-172N-180
KGYR / Phoenix AZ

marvinwaleed

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »
Check out this series of posts about flying and camping in British Columbia:

https://janinecrossblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/flying-airport-camping-in-the-interior-of-bc-day-1/

Covers a half dozen airports all around British Columbia
Pages: 1 2 [3]