Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: KSEA VFR Transition  (Read 1785 times)

Lee D

KSEA VFR Transition
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »
I heard recently that the VFR transitions (Mariner and Seahawk) over KSEA have been suspended.  At least that's what I thought I heard.  I'm not sure exactly what suspended means (permanent or temporary), but it didn't sound good.

Anyone know anything about this that they can share?

I didn't see any NOTAMs on this.  My understanding is that you discover you can't fly the VFR transition when you ask and are told no.   That sounds a little late in the flight planning process. 

I haven't tried this myself since they've been suspended.

I'm kind of bummed.  Flying over KSEA was part of my "Seattle sightseeing tour".
Lee, Renting, 172, PAE

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

Re: KSEA VFR Transition
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:53:20 AM »
Unfortunately it has been this way for a few months while they "review" procedures. 

No Notam necessary (although that would be considerate) because you need a specific Bravo clearance to enter.  They've always had the option to deny and have so in the past.

A non- communication VFR corridor would be nice, but I'll just hope they bring back the transition.

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

ErikU

• Utter Associates

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can just ask for and receive a regular old non-named transition whenever you like.
BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:19:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can just ask for and receive a regular old non-named transition whenever you like.

Those transitions are being denied and have been for a couple of months.  Gone until further notice.
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Lee D

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 05:36:37 PM »
Any update on this?  I checked the latest notams for SEA (including the published notams) and looked at the latest charts but still didn't see any mention of this no longer being permitted.
Lee, Renting, 172, PAE

N804RV

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:12:44 PM »
I've seen a couple of posts on FATPNW facebook group that said they had gotten cleared for VFR  transition.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

fly4fun

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:53 AM »
Anyone know if the VFR  Transitions (Mariner, Seahawk) as per indicated on the Charts still being approved?
Last time I was up that way and I wanted to go from PWT to RNT. and I made the mistake of getting an IFR clearance.
as I thought it would be easier and simpler to let approach do all the driving and that they would simply vector me over Seatac ...big mistake...it was good VFR weather and
they seemed a little annoyed that I was bothering them...vectored me all over the Puget Sound and way out around the end of the KSEA approach corridor
a trip that could have been < 15 min VFR , even without the Transition by ducking under the Rings was over an hour.   

PilotOwen

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:03:51 AM »
At the Pacific Northwest Aviation Conference and Trade Show, Seattle TRACON folks were saying that most transitions weren't being approved due to conflicts with BFI southbound departures in South flow, or BFI arrivals in general in North flow.
These posts are my own opinion, and do not necessary reflect the views of any company I have/currently/will work for, real or imagined

private pilot, Valley Flyers, KSLE
Primarily C-172M N515ED/N12382

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
I thought those VFR transition altitudes & routings were designed to avoid conflict- that's why crossing at one end of Seatac when flow is south & the other end when flow is north.

Domenick

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:26 AM »
As far as I know, the runways at BFI and SEA have not moved from a couple of years ago. What is precipitating this change in policy?
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

Wombat

• Clay Chase Flight

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
From what I understand, too many people doing the transitions were failing to adhere to the altitudes close enough and airlines were getting cockpit traffic alerts that they are legally required to obey. When airlines complain about ATC at an airport, ATC listens.

I asked for (and got) a transition in either Jan or Feb, so they are allowing it sometimes.

I've been vectored IFR directly over SeaTac at 4,000', but I've also been vectored way far North sometimes.
Commercial ASEL ASES
Private AMEL
CFI Single Engine
AGI

Currently own and fly:
Cessna 182 N5084D from Boeing Field

Currently Building:
Velocity XL-RG

WadeT

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
I was granted a west to east VFR transition over 34 center yesterday afternoon.  I did my usual call over Vashon and immediately got the squawk code for the transition.  Normally they would ask to cross over the runway numbers at 1500' but yesterday the controller wanted me to cross at 2500' instead.  I suppose that how they're preventing the separation problem now.
-Wade

Velocity N62AL
KPAE

PilotOwen

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »
Makes sense, now that the BFI departure has a hard altitude restriction of @2000ft over DUANE
These posts are my own opinion, and do not necessary reflect the views of any company I have/currently/will work for, real or imagined

private pilot, Valley Flyers, KSLE
Primarily C-172M N515ED/N12382

JRo

• Little wheel goes in back.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
For what its worth, I have flown the Mariner transition (when they were landing 34) to & from Auburn, without hassle, I think they had me fly them at 2000'.  There was quite a bit of traffic landing @ Seatac.

The procedure posted on the Seattle TAC shows a 1500'-2500' range.
Home - 63MT
Current - S50