Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: A pleasant experience  (Read 536 times)

chavycha

• Neither old nor bold.

A pleasant experience
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:11:22 PM »
I have flown into Salem several times in the past four-five years and have universally found their tower folks to be, well, less than friendly.  My KSLE experiences did not start well - with a controller who bitched me out for a solid five minutes as a student pilot for shortening my call sign (well after initial callup, but before he did it... yes, I know, it's in the AIM, but, seriously, you're at SALEM - not JFK!).   Maybe he had a good memory, but I always felt they were a bit abrasive and rude, especially considering their usually minimal workload.

I was pleasantly surprised a couple of days ago when I came in to Salem to visit family and was greeted with a cheerful voice.  Tower helped me with a couple of odd requests I had and was just overall much more pleasant than those I've talked to at KSLE in the past.

On the way out, I picked up a nav light bulb from the new maintenance/upholstery shop right by the tower.  I didn't have cash on me so the fellow running the shop said 'no worries, just send a check when you have a chance'.  Nice.

I have fairly frequent meetings in Salem so may start flying in for them...
Based in beautiful Creswell, Oregon (77S)

WadeT

Re: A pleasant experience
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:48 PM »
Stopped off at KSLE for lunch today on my way back to Seattle.  Controllers were friendly and cordial, especially the ground controllers who helpfully provided progressive taxi for a transient pilot like myself.  Food at the Flight Deck restaurant was tasty and the menu much better than your average greasy spoon.  The three berry cobbler was a real treat.  Nice views of the runways from the second floor restaurant.
-Wade

Velocity N62AL
KPAE