Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Skykomish State Airport (S88) - Overview  (Read 2979 times)

davidh

• Administrator
  • Wishing I was out there flying instead of surfing.

Skykomish State Airport (S88) - Overview
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »
Introduction:
A very nice grass strip along the Skykomish River just west of Stevens Pass in Washington's Cascades.  At 2050' long and with a field elevation of about 1000' MSL, Skykomish State sits in a valley with some dramatic high terrain nearby, so be sure you and your airplane are up for it.  Although it's not really remote (the town of Skykomish is within walking distance), it does feel like you're far from the big city up there.

According to the WSDOT Aviation Division, there's camping facilities and a pit toilet adjacent to the field (although I don't recall seeing those when I've stopped in).  Like other state backcountry strips, the airport is usually open during the summer season (typically June 1 through October 1), but be sure to contact WSDOT first to check conditions before venturing there.

Photos:

Local Reporting Points
There are no well-known local reporting points for this airport that we're aware of.
If you know of any, please add them in a reply below.

Other websites about this airport:

User Contributions Wanted!
Local knowledge and first-hand reports can be an important source of information for visiting pilots.
Please add your own PIREP, comments, corrections and updates below so others can benefit from your local knowledge and experience.

Disclaimers & Legal Stuff
My lawyer says to remind you that all the information contained here is certainly not intended for navigation, so please use it at your own risk. Always confirm any information you find online with an official government source, since we all know that the internet can be full of crazy stuff and you sure don't want to bet your life on that. Please be smart and fly safe. All contents of this website are © Pacific Northwest Flying, and may not be reproduced in any form without permission.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:06:33 PM by davidh »
David Herman
N6170T - 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA

mculver

• Popular Aviation

Re: Skykomish State Airport (S88) - Overview
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Skykomish has tall trees! If you are in a low-power C-152 or equal, 2 people on a hot day won't be a good idea. That said, it's a fun field to get to, fun to land on, and a 20-minute walk into town offers OK food in a local hotel. Lots of train activity here too, if you have kids along.

Took this photo a few years ago on a sunny October day.

hotrod150

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
  Used to be that the outhouse was in the brsuh just east of the midfield mobile home, adjacent to some picnic tables.

Papa Chuck

• 4 Whiskey Goff and Papa Chuck

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »
This is one of my grass strippin' favorites! Here's the sequence going into the chute....

Mark Ceccarelli
1978 Cessna 172N
N724WG

hotrod150

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »
I haven't been into Skykomish in quite a while. I was just checking it sat photos of it and noticed a big logged-off place on the south side of the runway at the east end of the airport. This is noticable in the last photo Papa Chuck posted back in 2011. What's going on there? Too bare to be just a regular logging unit.

skywag

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
That logged off area is the parking lot for the Walmart they are building on the runway.
Desert Aire Airport Manager (M94)

DavidD

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
I haven't been into Skykomish in quite a while. I was just checking it sat photos of it and noticed a big logged-off place on the south side of the runway at the east end of the airport. This is noticeable in the last photo Papa Chuck posted back in 2011. What's going on there? Too bare to be just a regular logging unit.

I was there today, and the logged off area is a drain field for the output from the Skykomish water treatment plant. ( Seen in the SE webcam below )

There are plenty of tie-downs, 3 new picnic tables, 2 fire rings, an outhouse, and a webcam that takes images in 4 directions...
   http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/webcam/Skykomish.htm

East

SE

South

West
Yellow 1940 BL-65 Taylorcraft

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
Flew into Skykomish S88 for a picnic yesterday with a couple of friends.
I haven't been there in a number of years.
The airstrip is in fine shape. The usual swirly winds at treetop level. Midday wind was out of the west, so we landed downhill.
There's a new picnic/camping area with a couple of picnic tables where the caretaker's mobile home used to be, at midfield north side..
Tiedowns for two airplanes (covered with traffic cones) just west of that, adjacent to the webcam pole.
And it looked like the old outhouse was still there, back in the brush, east of midfield at the old picnic area.
We signed into the visitor book-- saw that a guy I know from the BCP.org site had been there the day before.