Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: ADS-B options - Finally the one I've been waiting for:  (Read 169 times)

Flying Dan

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

ADS-B options - Finally the one I've been waiting for:
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
Well, maybe not "the" one, but if I don't get this, it'll be something almost exactly like it:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540911#specs

It will fit my needs.
L8A - Slightly modified

aftCG

Re: ADS-B options - Finally the one I've been waiting for:
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »
That's the one I'm going with. 

I was just on PoA where the consensus seems to be "just spend another $1500 on..." an all in one unit. 

And I would if it was a slide in replacement, but it's not.  The installed cost to ditch my old (perfectly functioning) Narco and installing the all-in-one units is about twice the sticker price of the unit (about $5k all up).

I'd rather spend the money on gas, tires and oil.

I'll be waiting with my catcher's mitt for the used market of non-ADSB transponders that is about to explode, giving me a list of options for the next several years.

piperfan

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
Note that this is only 978 MHZ UAT. If you want to go outside U.S (Mexico or Caribbean and possibly Canada soon) you will need 1090.

Otherwise great for U.S. and using existing XPDR.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:27:54 AM by piperfan »
PA28-180E
CZBB, Vancouver, BC

Domenick

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »
https://www.uavionix.com/news/uavionix-reveals-skybeacon-the-first-near-zero-install-ads-b-out-solution/

Also a 978 MHZ UAT solution. Expecting Q12018 for experimental and light-sport, and later in 2018 for a certified STC. Won't work if you have wingtip strobe built-in to the same unit.

I am very angry at the FAA and this whole ADSB-Out issue. We all share the same airspace, certified, experimentals, and drones, yet there are different rules for different categories, and different price points for similar solutions. While the quarter-sized uAvionix Ping Buddy is legal for drones buzzing around the same airspace it is not legal for my certified Warrior. Ditto for the SkyBeacon. Something is askew.
https://www.uavionix.com/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:04:42 AM by Domenick »
Domenick
PA-28-161
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
..........I am very angry at the FAA and this whole ADSB-Out issue. We all share the same airspace, certified, experimentals, and drones, yet there are different rules for different categories, and different price points for similar solutions. ....

And the aircraft you'd think would benefit the most or need ADS-B the most may be able to opt out.
I read a while back that the military won't be equipping , at least not by the drop-dead date--
"don't have the funding or the time".
Me too, me too.
I wouldn't be surprised if the airlines (who IMHO benefit the most and need it the most) will probably try to get out of it too.....
and probably succeed. After all, money talks.