Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: ADS-B Early Experience  (Read 613 times)

N1032M

• Cessna 150K "Little Mike"

ADS-B Early Experience
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
We had the Appareo 1090ES Transponder + Stratus 1090/978 receiver w AHRS installed last month and have made a few flights with Foreflight. Seeing traffic on the Ipad is interesting.

We flew to Arlington and back over the weekend. We were only able to visually verify one, out of the many aircraft we saw on Foreflight. Even ones that turned yellow as they flew near us.

Had a guy right on our tail. His N number was displayed, which I believe means he has ADS-B out, so I called him and asked if he could see us. He replied negative. I called him back and said we were 200 below him at 12 OClock and then he saw us.

I also contacted Whidbey approach and asked if they could tell that we had ADS-B out. He replied negative. Im sure that will change in the future. 1090ES actually obsoletes the need to hand out codes and ask tail number/type/eqiuip. I like the VFR button and being able to confirm what my Pressure Altitude encoder is sending.

Haven't played much with the weather yet,
Bryan
Roche Harbor

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

Re: ADS-B Early Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »
... 1090ES actually obsoletes the need to hand out codes and ask tail number/type/eqiuip...

And that is exactly why I choose 978 UAT...Ill cling to the last remaining bit of privacy available.

Daryl
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

Cabbage

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
We had the Appareo 1090ES Transponder + Stratus 1090/978 receiver w AHRS installed last month and have made a few flights with Foreflight. Seeing traffic on the Ipad is interesting.

We flew to Arlington and back over the weekend. We were only able to visually verify one, out of the many aircraft we saw on Foreflight. Even ones that turned yellow as they flew near us.

Had a guy right on our tail. His N number was displayed, which I believe means he has ADS-B out, so I called him and asked if he could see us. He replied negative. I called him back and said we were 200 below him at 12 OClock and then he saw us.

I also contacted Whidbey approach and asked if they could tell that we had ADS-B out. He replied negative. Im sure that will change in the future. 1090ES actually obsoletes the need to hand out codes and ask tail number/type/eqiuip. I like the VFR button and being able to confirm what my Pressure Altitude encoder is sending.

Haven't played much with the weather yet,

I may be wrong, but the amount of traffic you see will also depend on the settings in your transponder.  Regardless of what is set, you will see all other ADS-B OUT equipped aircraft.  However, unless the settings on your transponder report that you are IN equipped, I don't think you will see TIS-B traffic unless that traffic is being reported to another ADS-B IN equipped airplane.  That is, that traffic is flying within the 'hockey puck' of some other ADS-B IN aircraft.  Since you have a Stratus dual band receiver, make sure your installer set up your transponder to report that you are both 1090 and 978 IN equipped (if you can do that with the Appareo).  ATC should then be sending info on all non-ADS-B equipped aircraft that fly within your 'hockey puck'.

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
...I also contacted Whidbey approach and asked if they could tell that we had ADS-B out. He replied negative. Im sure that will change in the future. 1090ES actually obsoletes the need to hand out codes and ask tail number/type/eqiuip. I like the VFR button and being able to confirm what my Pressure Altitude encoder is sending.....

I don't think that will be changing in the near future.
From what I've heard, ATC will still be assigning squawk codes etc for the foreseeable future.
The ADS-B "black box" is for air-to-air collision avoidance, and for somebody in a back room to go back & see just what you did after ATC or someone reports a violation.

Besides tactical and after-the-fact use,
ADS-B will also make it possible for everyone to track your flights on the internet-
including your ex-wife, your creditors, and that guy who's been wanting to burglarize your house or hangar.
For that reason, I'm with Darryl re  keeping as much privacy as possible.

groupw

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:18:47 AM »
A number of tower controllers have asked me to ident since I installed ADS-B out, showing they don't have access to the ADS-B information. They do, however, see some traffic I don't:

Non-transponder equipped aircraft they're talking to.
Planes too low to be detected by an ADS-B tower.
Non-ADS-B equipped aircraft when I'm too low to receive TIS-B from an ADS-B tower.

But it's a huge help even in a controlled airspace. When the controller reports traffic, I can often see it on my ADS-B when I can't spot it visually. Sometimes I've been telling the controllers when this is the case but haven't gotten any reaction one way or the other so don't know if that information is helpful to them.

Roy

N1032M

• Cessna 150K "Little Mike"

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »

And that is exactly why I choose 978 UAT...Ill cling to the last remaining bit of privacy available.

Understood, but 978 isn't legal in Canada
Bryan
Roche Harbor

nelsonfamily

• Gary and Alice

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »
With ADS-B Out our airplane interrogates other airplanes with ADS-B out. We have found it shows us aircraft taxiing even while the airport is beyond visual range. A great help to figure out which runway is in use and to see if the runway overrun is being used as a back taxi, and hence not available until they clear. We particularly noticed this at the Sunriver airport. Very helpful.

hotrod180

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
Understood, but 978 isn't legal in Canada 

Don't think Canada has an ADS-B mandate, but they do plan to incorporate ADS-B into IFR ops.
From an AOPA ADS-B information website:
"Canada. Currently no mandate, but operators who voluntarily equip with 1090ES (particularly in the Hudson Bay and nearby oceanic airspace) can receive a higher level of service. Nav Canada is part of a joint air traffic surveillance venture, Aireon, installing ADS-B equipment on low-earth-orbit satellites. Nav Canada will be the launch customer when the service becomes available in 2018, and initially intends to incorporate 1090ES ADS-B into North Atlantic airspace. "

Ddayle

• I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
I have been using ADS-B in for a couple of months.  It i doesn't show everyone, yet, but i shows a lot more than i can see.   recently I didn't climb  because the box saw a  plane 1100' above and 1 mile in trail at the same speed.  I might have climbed up under him.  between FF and ADS-b , beacon and STROBES I try to use every tool in my box.  I can't wait to get the Out next month,   I have that same  Apparero unit ordered.  I'm not much for hiding,,, HEY everyone ,,HERE  I AM!!!!...
Flying Juliette.

kzadora

• The big runway, 489Y, just land on the big runway!

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »
(...)
But it's a huge help even in a controlled airspace. When the controller reports traffic, I can often see it on my ADS-B when I can't spot it visually. Sometimes I've been telling the controllers when this is the case but haven't gotten any reaction one way or the other so don't know if that information is helpful to them.

I do not think it is. They have to provide you safety advisories (workload permitting) until you identify the traffic visually.

hotrod180

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
In my experience, they will give you repeated advisories about that traffic (time permitting) unless / until you report traffic in sight.
After you report it in sight, I think they're counting on you to keep it in sight.