Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Need Transition Training ASAP!  (Read 464 times)

N804RV

Need Transition Training ASAP!
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
I bought a Sonerai IIL.  Its a pretty little airplane (little being the operative word here).  I'm looking for someone with something like an RV-4 with dual controls that can give me some dual instruction.  Or, a CFI with Sonerai experience who only weighs about 170 lbs.  Can anyone help me out?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:04:45 PM by N804RV »
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

PP ASEL, Complex, High Perf and Tailwheel endorsements.
RV-8 Empennage Kit mostly finished
         Wings in work

will moffitt

Re: Need Transition Training ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
Really nice looking plane Ken.

Will

smutny

• G Junkie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Ken, do you need a CFI for insurance purposes?  Doug Evanson, who flies from Fall City, is a former Sonerai owner.  He's a big proponent of the airframe and could probably help you out, but I'm pretty sure he isn't a CFI.  I can provide an intro if interested.

Another option would be to look for all the Sonerai owners regionally in the FAA database.  Reach out to them to see if any fit your needs.
John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

N804RV

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
Insurance Co wants 5 hrs in type, or a check-out from a CFI.  Don't know how many CFI's with relevant experience are gonna fit in the front seat of my plane and it still be anywhere close to max gross.

It was originally signed off with a max gross of 1150, with a 2180cc engine rated at 76hp@3,600rpm.  It now has an 1835cc engine that is officially rated at 65hp@3,600rpm.  But, the previous owner claims it is closer to 70hp.  And, the aircraft's claimed empty weight is about 40lbs less that what it was with the original engine/balast.

The design specs list a max gross of 950lbs with the 1835cc engine.  With a new empty weight of 557lbs, that makes a take-off weight with 2 200lb pilots and an hour and a half of fuel of about 1,000 lbs.  CG falls well within the operating limits at that weight.  And my guess is that it'd take off and fly just fine from Arlington's runway.

One thing I have noticed in ground handling is that the tail wheel has a slight forward cant that makes it want to self-center. if you take your feet off the rudder pedals and blip the throttle, its tendency is to go to centerline and track straight ahead.  The cost of this (I'm guessing) seems to be a tailwheel spring that should be inspected regularly.
With just me in the back seat and a half tank of gas, it leaps out of the chocks with what feels like plenty of power.  And, ground handling is pretty docile and predictable.  Though, with a direct steering tailwheel (rigid link instead of springs), it will go exactly where you point it in a hurry.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:27:26 AM by N804RV »
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

Wings in work

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
...It was originally signed off with a max gross of 1150....
The design specs list a max gross of 950lbs with the 1835cc engine.....CG falls well within the operating limits at that weight. ....

I'm no expert on homebuilts, or on Sonerais, but I don't know that the "design specs" are a limiting factor,
or at least the most important one.
I believe there should be an "airplane flight manual" that was part of the airworthiness  approval,
it should specify a maximum aka gross weight.
That would be your legally limiting weight.
It should also specify an approved CG envelope.

I'm glad to see that you seem well aware of the importance of keeping it in CG--
IMHO CG is more important than gross weight.
Lots of airplanes will fly just fine over gross-- but out of CG not so much.

Nice looking Sonerai BTW.
Very sporty looking, and I hear they're a kick in the ass to fly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:46:54 AM by hotrod180 »

N804RV

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »
Ken, do you need a CFI for insurance purposes?  Doug Evanson, who flies from Fall City, is a former Sonerai owner.  He's a big proponent of the airframe and could probably help you out, but I'm pretty sure he isn't a CFI.  I can provide an intro if interested.

Another option would be to look for all the Sonerai owners regionally in the FAA database.  Reach out to them to see if any fit your needs.

I would appreciate an introduction to Mr. Evanson.  I'll PM you my info.
Ken W.
Mount Vernon, WA

Wings in work

WadeT

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
I'm looking for someone with something like an RV-4 with dual controls that can give me some dual instruction.

Nice plane.  You'd be hard pressed to find a CFI that owns an EAB that's authorized to be able to provide instruction to you in his own plane.  I only know of one person in the area that has a LODA for his and he has a Glasair 3 unfortunately.  However, he might be able to help you or put you in touch with someone that could.  His name is Alan Negrin based out of AWO.

The EAA maintains a list of CFIs with LODAs that you might find helpful:  https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/pilot-resources/letters-of-deviation-authority-holders-loda-holders

I was fortunate that the builder of my plane is also a CFI.  Insurance only needed a couple of hours of dual with the builder and I was good to go.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:27:08 PM by WadeT »
-Wade

Velocity N62AL
KPAE

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
....You'd be hard pressed to find a CFI that owns an EAB that's authorized to be able to provide instruction to you in his own plane.  I only know of one person in the area that has a LODA for his and he has a Glasair 3 unfortunately.  ...

Hmmm.... it's my understanding that giving dual instruction in an E-AB aircraft is not prohibited.
Why would it matter whether it belonged to the CFI's or the learner?
I do understand that use of an E-AB "for hire" is prohibited,
so I guess there have to be no charge or fee made for rental of the E-AB airplane.

Stinson Pilot

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Ken, hope it's going well. Gotta get up there and take a look. The Sonerai is a very fun and affordable machine.
I'm going to build another in retirement I think.
Flying is the Answer....What was the question?

Doug
Steen Skybolt
Stinson 108-2