Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Does the Enhanced Drivers License count at proof of citizenship?  (Read 450 times)

Wombat

• Clay Chase Flight

Does the Enhanced Drivers License count at proof of citizenship?
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
I have a potential student who wants to bring his EDL as citizenship proof.  I don't see that on the list of documents on https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=95935757b629224ba61b9e214cd1f3c8;rgn=div5;view=text;node=49:9.1.3.5.16;idno=49;cc=ecfr

Is that acceptable?
Commercial ASEL ASES
Private AMEL
CFI Single Engine
AGI

Currently own and fly:
Cessna 182 N5084D from Boeing Field

Currently Building:
Velocity XL-RG

Flying Dan

• When I set my timing, why do I flush, then pee?

Re: Does the Enhanced Drivers License count at proof of citizenship?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:04:21 AM »
I don't think it is and wouldn't risk it.  Just bring a passport of have the student get a passport.
L8A - Slightly modified

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:23:18 AM »
FYI in case anyone missed it....
I believe starting in Jan 2018 sometime a standard WA drivers license will NOT be sufficient ID to get through TSA when boarding an airline flight.
You will need an enhanced WA license or a passport.
Apparently WA is one of just a few states whose ID does not pass muster according to TSA.
I don't know why we have to be out of step (grrr!)

ErikU

• Utter Associates

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:37:05 AM »
50 Million people pass through seatac a year.  I would guess that roughly half are Washington residents.  This nonsense of of our drivers license not being sufficient has been going on for many years now.  It's safe to say that one of two things will happen:

1. There will be yet another extension waiver granted, as has been done for many years.

2. The state will change things AND We will all get new drivers licenses by the end of the year.

Pretty sure I know which will happen, and I'm pretty sure I will not be taking my passport for domestic travel.  As a matter of fact, you don't actually need any ID at all to fly...  but you will be subject to extra scrutiny.

BE-35 'S' Bonanza - Seattle - BFI

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:54:23 AM »
I have a potential student who wants to bring his EDL as citizenship proof.  I don't see that on the list of documents on https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=95935757b629224ba61b9e214cd1f3c8;rgn=div5;view=text;node=49:9.1.3.5.16;idno=49;cc=ecfr
Is that acceptable? 

That link is for "flight schools"-- is it only for part 141 flight schools?
A buddy of mine is helping his young neighbor pursue flying,
she's almost ready to solo so she got her medical and is waiting on her student certificate.
When I asked my friend if she had a passport, he told me that she didn't even have a drivers license.
So maybe non-part 141 student requirements are less stringent?

Oops- just re-read the link.
At the very top of the text is says
"Subpart A—Flight Training for Aliens and Other Designated Individuals".
So I assume not applicable to US residents.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:57:28 AM by hotrod180 »

BoyScout

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
Is your student claiming to be a US citizen?  Under 1552.3 (h), the EDL would seem to just be treated like any other form of "government-issued picture identification" and would need a second document to prove citizenship.  (I agree that it doesn't make sense in light of the RealID Act of 2005, but then how many of us think *all* the FARs perfectly align with each other?)

On a side note: For anyone looking to get a WA EDL for 'proof of citizenship", you may also want to run the numbers for a passport *card* (especially if your passport is close to expiring). ($30 for 10 years for passport card vs $20 for 5 years for WA EDL.)

BoyScout

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:48:36 AM »
If your friend's daughter is too young to get a driver's license, she can still get a WA State ID card (regular or 'enhanced') at any age: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/gettingidcard.html