Please login or register.

TinyPortal - simple content managment for SMF

News: “Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom. It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment." - Harrison Ford

Author Topic: Redhawk Flight Trainer  (Read 2606 times)

Highshine

• MEI CoPilot Wanted

Redhawk Flight Trainer
« on: January 06, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »

What do you think about the new RedHawk 172 Conversion from the RedBird Flight Simulator company? Please consider the concept, and the exterior, engine, avionics, and cost.   I am still thinking about what will make the best aircraft for primary flight training. Something that looks great to the potential/new student, and includes some newer avionics technology and can possibly lower the hourly rental cost.   http://redhawk.redbirdflight.com/
Claude
DA42 KBVS

hotrod180

• Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitutes!

Re: Redhawk Flight Trainer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
   A like new, totally rebuilt C172, with a TCM turbo diesel engine (horsepower unknown) for $249K? Considering the price of new airplanes, probably a good deal. However, I'm a skeptic- I'll believe it when I see it. Is TCM even selling those engines yet?
   Even if it is a good deal, for some tax brackets anyways, is it a good deal for a flight school?  What would you have to charge for rent to get a proper return on investment? You should be able to find a creampuff regular gasoline-powered C172 for a lot less than that $249K, which you can then rent for a lot less. And some airports (like my own) don't sell Jet-A, only 100LL.

CubFlying.com

• American Legend Super Cub
    • CubFlying.com

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »
...And some airports (like my own) don't sell Jet-A, only 100LL.

That to me, is the deal-breaker.   Having been to more than 350 airports in the US, I can safely say that many don't (and won't) carry it due to lack of customers.

As to the initial cost, there are flight schools buying new Skyhawks, Archers and Diamonds.  At those price points, the hourly rental is generally pretty steep and the ROI long.  Not the type of place I would look for to receive primary training.
Daryl Hickman, CFI

"If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again."

BruceAir

• BruceAir

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »
The key markets for the Redhawk and similar aircraft with diesel engines are outside North America. These aircraft burn Jet-A, which is widely available. Avgas is often difficult or impossible to find, and when it is available, it's very expensive.

-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com
KBFI/A36/Extra 300L